Who We Are
Over the last 40 years, members of the Tackley Local History Group have been exploring the past
of the village and the people who have lived and worked in and around it from 12000 BC to
the 20th century. The group has published books on a range of
subjects, from a history of the village to a collection of old photographs. We have carried
out excavations at the church, undertaken archaeological investigations, and built up a
collection of archives which is kept in the village hall.
New members from within the village and outside are always welcome. The subscription is £6 per
year. Contact secretary Sue Ashton at 10 St Nicholas Road, by phone on 01869 331325, or
email to historygroup [at] tackleyvillage.co.uk.
Tackley Local History Group has 50 members and is run by a committee of seven (Dawn
Chambers, Peter and Penny Grondona, Anne Martin, Jill Millar, Malcolm Ridout, Sue Whitaker)
and three officers:
- Chair: John Perkins, 01869 331147, jperkins [at] brookes.ac.uk
- Secretary: Sue Ashton, 01869 331325, suejashton1 [at] btinternet.com
- Treasurer: Neil Wilson, 01869 331498, neil.m.wilson53 [at] gmail.com
- The purpose of the Tackley Local History Group is to research, preserve and interpret
Tackley’s history and heritage and to make the results of these activities available to the
residents of the village and to interested parties from outside. In this context ‘local
history’ shall be taken to include archaeology and environmental history.
- The History Group is a not-for-profit organisation and all moneys raised shall go towards
achieving the Group’s purpose.
- All residents of the village, aged 16 or over, are eligible to become members of the History
Group on payment of the annual membership fee. Those from outside the village are also welcome
- The day-to-day operation of the History Group shall be in the hands of three officers:
Chair, Secretary and Treasurer. The management of the History Group shall be the
responsibility of the Committee which will consist of up to 10 members including the three
officers. The Officers and Committee shall be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting.
The Treasurer shall manage the Group’s funds and shall prepare an annual account of income and
expenditure. The Committee shall have the power to co-opt additional members on a temporary
- The Annual General Meeting which will be open to all members shall be held between
1 January and 30 April each year. The Secretary shall submit an account of the
previous year’s activities to the Meeting. The Treasurer shall submit for approval by the
Meeting an account of the previous year’s income and expenditure, that has been examined by a
suitably experienced person who shall not be a member of the Committee. The Meeting shall
decide the annual membership fee to be levied from the following September.
- As the owner of the Tackley Village Archive the Group is responsible for its conservation
and cataloguing and for making items from it available to those wishing to use it for
research. It is also responsible for ensuring that appropriate items of local interest are
added to the archive when the opportunity arises.
- If the members of the Committee decide that it is necessary or advisable to dissolve the
Group, they shall call a meeting of all members of the Group of which not less than 21 days’
notice (stating the terms of the resolution to be proposed) shall be given. If the proposal is
confirmed by a two-thirds majority of those present and voting, the Committee shall have power
to realise any assets held by or on behalf of the Group. Any assets remaining after the
satisfaction of any proper debts and liabilities shall be given or transferred to such other
voluntary organisations having objects similar to the object of the Group as the members of
the Group may determine.
Approved at the AGM, 29 April 2017